Kirsten Dunst shines as maid-of-dishonor

It wasnt that Kirsten Dunst had always dreamed of playing an ice princess as she does as Regan in Bachelorette.

The raunchy girls--behaving--badly farce fit her mood, Dunst said Wednesday at Manhattans Regency Hotel.

After Melancholia I got scripts that were heady, depressed, she said of last years cosmic bummer about the end of the world.

I never want to be pigeonholed and I thought, Im never going to repeat this again. I wanted to do a comedy. I hadnt done one for a while and people dont see you in that light if youre not a comedienne.

Once she read Bachelorette, I was, This is hilarious! And I would love to go completely opposite and play the b----.

Thats whats fun about this movie for me that I got to play a role that was totally the opposite of what Ive played. Its fun not to have to be the sweet, cute girl. To let it rip and hang out.

The caustic Bachelorette is the flip side of televisions moony Bachelorette reality show, although Dunst confessed, I love those TV shows, everyone vying for a rose.

Its trash television you can watch with your mom and grandma on a Monday night.

Bachelorette, which filmed in just 23 days and was a hit at Sundance last winter, scored spectacularly when it debuted a month ago as an on-demand title, racking up $500,000 its first weekend.

Dunst theorized as to why it clicked. I watched the red band trailer and it appeals to young guys and girls and there is us as a combo her co-stars Isla Fisher and Lizzy Cap-lan which is a nice thing to see. It feels very alive.

People respond to things they want to see. You see the trailer and this is the moment so you go watch.

Dunst also acknowledged how Bachelorette divides audiences.

Its more abrasive than Hangover because you see women doing it, getting drunk, snorting coke, being hateful.

Its OK for the boys but not the girls and thats a societal thing.

But thats what makes a movie a movie. If your movie divides people, that! s a good thing. It opens up discussions and thats what movies should do.


Comments